30th Anniversary of Ventilator & Respiratory Care Program
Ventilator & Respiratory Care Program
We are celebrating our 30th anniversary of market-leading ventilator and respiratory care program in Alexandria VA. The celebratory event recognized our three decades of success specializing in complex pulmonary rehabilitation—within an ever-changing health care environment.
“It’s a special time at Woodbine, and the anniversary program reflected on the program’s evolution, and the medical and technological advancements that are so critical when it comes to upholding and improving quality of care,” said Megan Shilling, regional director of market development for Marquis Health Consulting Services. “Marquis is proud to support Woodbine and congratulates the team on this impressive milestone.”
Located at 2729 King St., our rehabilitation and healthcare center provides post-hospital care, short-term rehab and long-term residential care. Under the direction of pulmonologist Samir Al-Khouri, M.D., the ventilator and respiratory care program is widely recognized for its longevity and track record in treating patients who are ventilator and tracheostomy dependent, or have debilitating respiratory conditions and disorders.
Its state-of-the-art 46-bed ventilator unit is optimal for vent weaning and management. “We have the only program in northern Virginia that takes ventilator patients right off the acute care setting,” said Al-Khouri. “Our goal is to help patients breathe on their own—when possible—and in all cases, aim to increase their quality of life dramatically.”
Woodbine’s pulmonary patients benefit from 24/7 care provided by respiratory therapists, pulmonologists and specially-trained nurses and caregivers. “Many of our dedicated therapists and nurses have been with us for years,” added Melissa Claudio, Woodbine’s director of respiratory therapy. “We all care deeply about our patients and what we do.”
Ventilator & Respiratory Care Program features:
- Dedicated 46-Bed Ventilator Unit for optimal vent weaning and management.
- Tracheostomy Care including onsite quarterly tube changes as needed.
- Bedside Rehabilitation with Occupational and Physical Therapists who tailor therapy to each individual’s needs.
- Onsite Doctor of Speech Pathology conducts Bedside Swallow Studies including FEES to advance patient’s diet as progresses.
- Daily Collaboration with Respiratory Therapists and Speech Language Pathologist; allows for advancements in PMV trials, strengthening of patient swallow and trach tube capping trials ultimately resulting in successful trach weaning.
- Pulmonary Mechanics for our Neuro Population allows assessment and week over week comparison of muscle strength and ventilatory reserve.
- Oxygen Therapy and Monitoring
- Nebulizer and Aerosol Treatments
- High Frequency Chest Vest Therapy allowing for increased mobility and production of secretions.
- Portable Ventilators offering mobility, rehab and recreational involvement resulting in increased quality of life.
- Nocturnal Support (BiPAP/CPAP) with daytime tolerance trials to assist with overall patient compliance.
- Trilogy, Life 2000 and other progressive respiratory modalities
- Volara Oscillation with Lung Expansion Therapy (OLE)
- Trilogy Avaps Therapy
- Heated Airvo
- High Flow Nasal Cannula
Woodbine Rehab maintains a five-star rating in quality measures from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and was recognized as one of Virginia’s top nursing homes in Newsweek’s America’s Best Nursing Homes 2022—for the third consecutive year. It has the state’s largest licensed skilled nursing capacity.